Monday November 24, 2014

QUESTION OF THE WEEK

Survey results are meant for general information only, and are not based on recognised statistical methods.




Council discusses several items at meeting

Comments

Highlights from the April 28 meeting of Estevan City Council:

*The Transit Assistance for People with Disabilities program will fund most of the purchase for a transit vehicle in Estevan. The grant will cover 75 per cent of the costs, to a maximum of $55,000. The City of Estevan will pay for the remaining 25 per cent.

*The monthly report from Regens Disposal shows that 4,112 blue carts were emptied in Estevan in March, and that 41,850 kilograms of materials were recycled. The average weight per cart was 10.4 kilograms.

*Council tabled a request to have fees waived at the Souris Valley Aquatic and Leisure Centre for the 17 full-time and part-time EMS employees in Estevan. The Leisure Services board will study the request, and report back to council.

*A two-year-old bylaw that restricted street sweeping in March and April has been repealed. The bylaw called for street cleaning to begin mid-May. Estevan's street sweeping program is expected to be broader this year. It will begin with pressure washing the concrete and paved boulevards, then move to arterial and downtown roads, and then shift to residential roads.

*Twenty-three building permits, with a total value of $2.298 million, were issued in March, bringing the total permit numbers to 41 with a total value of more than $5 million. Twenty of the March permits were for singe-family residential permits, thanks to ongoing work in The Ridge subdivision at the south edge of Estevan.

*Second and third reading was given to a bylaw to allow a four-plex to be constructed in the 800 block of Valley Street. One neighbouring resident, Kendra Reid, objected for several reasons, citing concerns over parking, privacy, increased traffic, drainage, a nearby fire hydrant, and a blind corner at the intersection of Eighth Avenue and Valley Street.

*Three readings were given to a bylaw that will prevent motorhomes, truck campers and other similar vehicles from being used as a dwelling unit or a primary temporary residence in the city. They can only be situated on a site for storage or temporary overnight accommodation for four days in a 30-day span.

 

 


Comments

Comments


NOTE: To post a comment in the new commenting system you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, OpenID. You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

The Estevan Lifestyles welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

blog comments powered by Disqus



About Us | Advertise | Contact Us | Sitemap / RSS   Glacier Community Media: www.glaciermedia.ca    © Copyright 2014 Glacier Community Media | User Agreement & Privacy Policy

LOG IN



Lost your password?